How to Check State Tax Refund Status: State Tax is the Income Tax payable to the State Government. If you have already paid the State Tax then you are able to check the refund status. You can file the Income Tax Return by paper mode or online mode. After firing the State Tax Return, you can expect Refund after a few days or weeks.
When you file your IT Return, the State Tax Authority will review your return. Thereafter your return will be either approved or rejected. Your State Tax Refund will be initiated only after the approval of your Income Tax Return. You need to visit the IRS Website or use IRS2Go App to Check your State Tax Refund Status Online.
What is State Tax and State Tax Refund?
Every Citizen of United States needs to pay Income Tax to concerned State Government. The Income Tax charged by the state gov is known as State Tax. After filing the Income Tax Return, the concerned authority will refund some amount which is not taxable or wrongly taxed earlier. This returned sum of money is known as State Tax Refund.
Information Required to Check State Tax Refund Status
In order to know your State Tax Refund Status, you must have some important information. As the refund status is checked online, it require some key information to fetch your refund details. It is highly recommended to keep all the information ready before you proceed to check your State Tax Refund Status on IRS Website or your State Tax Website.
- Social Security Number (SSN) OR Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Return Filing Status.
- Exact Refund Amount.
Where can I find My SSN or ITIN Number?
As a taxpayer, you may have already filed an Income Tax Return or E-Return. Now you need your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to check refund status. Your SSN or ITIN is mentioned on the upper right corner of your State Tax Form. Just refer the tax form and note down your SSN or ITIN for using it to know your State Tax Refund Status.
What is My Return Filing Status?
When you file an Income Tax Return to State Government, you need to define its status. The same way, you need to mention your filing status also to check the State Tax Refund Status. Your Return Filing Status can be any one of the following:
- Married-Filing Joint Return
- Married Filing Separate Return
- Head of Household
- Qualifying Widow(er)
You should check and note down your Return Filing Status to provide correctly to know your State Tax Refund Status Online.
Why do I need to provide the Refund Amount?
You may not want to disclose the exact amount of refund. But the State Tax Authority asks this information for security reasons. If you provide exact refund amount in US Dollars, only then you will get correct response from respective personnel. You can easily find the refund amount in your Tax Return Form.
Methods to Check State Tax Refund Status
Every Taxpayer is eligible to check their State Tax Refund Status Online on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Website. There are three different ways to know the refund status as mentioned below:
- Check State Tax Refund Status on IRS Website
- Check State Tax Refund Status through IRS2Go App
- Check State Tax Refund Status on Concerned State Tax Website
01. How to Check State Tax Refund Status on IRS Website
In order to get your State Tax Refund Status through IRS Website, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Open a Web Browser and go to IRS Website Address at www.irs.gov.
- Click on “Refund Status” to open relevant page.
- Read the information given below the heading What You Will Need.
- Now click on the button given as “Check My Refund Status” to go to status checking page.
- Enter your Social Security Number (SSN) or IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
- Select your Return Filing Status and enter your exact refund amount in US Dollars.
- Finally click on Submit button to get your State Tax Refund Status on your screen.
02. How to Check State Tax Refund Status through IRS2Go App
IRS2Go App is developed for providing Tax Help and Services on Mobile Cell Phones. You can get your State Tax Refund Status using IRS2Go App just as you check on IRS Website. IRS2Go App is available in English and Spanish languages. You need to download & install the IRS2Go App on your Cell Phone to use its services. Follow the below steps to check State Tax Refund Status:
- Download & Install IRS2Go App on Android Phone or iPhone.
- You can also get IRS2Go App for free from Amazon.Com.
- Start Internet Data or WiFi on your Phone and open IRS2Go App.
- Select Refund Status option to begin.
- Enter your SSN/ITIN, Return Filing Status and Refund Amount.
- Submit the details to know your State Tax Refund Status.
03. How to Check State Tax Refund Status on Concerned State Tax Website
You can also visit your concerned State Tax Website to check your Refund Status Online. You need to provide the Tax Year, Social Security Number, Your Tax Form and other details as asked. Here we provide State wise Website List for State Tax Refund Status as under:
Please note that there is No State Income Tax in Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. The Citizens of New Hampshire and Tennessee need not to pay State Income Tax on Regular Income or Wages. However, they need to pay tax on income from dividends and investments.
When can I check State Tax Refund Status after filing Tax Return?
You can check your State Tax Refund Status through “Where’s My Refund?” after 24 hours of filing e-return. In case you have mailed paper return to respective authority’s address, you can check your State Tax Refund Status only after 4 weeks.
How quickly can I get my State Tax Refund Amount?
Your State Tax Refund Amount can be issued earliest within 21 calendar days. If your refund process takes more than 21 days, it is because of any of the following reasons. It may happen that your State Tax Return…
- Includes errors.
- Is incomplete.
- Is affected by identity theft or fraud.
- Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
- Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process.
- Needs further review in general.
All the information given above about How to Check State Tax Refund Status is true and fair. For more queries on State Tax Refund, kindly visit IRS Website at www.irs.gov or your concerned State Tax Website.